Counterweight Ltd. enables a wide spectrum of organisations access to evidence based weight management programmes.
Counterweight Ltd. spun out from the Robert Gordon University in September 2011, selling programmes for the management of overweight and obesity.
- Counterweight research began in 2000 involving collaboration between seven UK Universities.
- Research involved assessing the burden of overweight and obesity in the NHS, and development and evaluation of three novel weight management programmes
The First developement is The Counterweight Programme:
- Aimed at a moderate weight loss of 5-10% and has demonstrated evidence of both clinical and cost effectiveness.
- It is a structured weight management intervention delivered over a 12-month period, using behavioural strategies to assist people change their lifestyle
The second development is Counterweight Plus:
- A programme aimed at 15% weight loss or more for individuals with a higher BMI.
- This programme involves a total diet replacement phase over 12 weeks, followed by stepped, structured food re-introduction and then a weight maintenance phase over 18-months.
The third development is Counterweight Families:
- A novel intervention for adults and children delivered over 12-months