Nutritional information (per serving)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup (200g) dried red lentils, uncooked (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 handfuls of fresh spinach
- Naan bread
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the chopped onion for around 5 minutes until they are soft and starting to turn golden.
- Add the ginger, garlic and chilli flakes and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Crush together the cumin, coriander and mustard seeds and add these to the pan along with the turmeric and garam masala. Stir together and cook for 2 minutes taking care not to have the heat too high.
- Stir in the lentils, tomatoes (with the juice), coconut milk and the stock. Give it a good mix and season with salt and pepper. Simmer on a medium heat for around 20 minutes until the mixture is nice and thick.
- Finally, mix in the lemon juice and spinach until the spinach wilts. Serve with a warm naan bread and enjoy!