Lentil and mushroom bolognese
Nutritional information (per serve)
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 2 cups (384g) dried split red lentils
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cans (400ml each) of chopped tomatoes
- 125ml red wine
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 500g whole grain pasta
- 1 tbsp grated cheese of choice (we love using parmesan, choose vegan cheese to make this dish vegan!)
- 1 handful of basil leaves
- Using a medium pan, heat the stock until warm and add the lentils. Bring to the boil and cook until the water has been absorbed and the lentils are soft (it should take around 15 minutes).
- In a large saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the onions for 3 minutes on a medium heat. Take care to ensure the onion doesn’t burn and stir often.
- Next, add an extra tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the celery and carrots. Add a pinch of salt and cook for a further 15-20 minutes. Once the vegetables are browning nicely, mix in the garlic, mushroom, dried herbs and cook for another few minutes.
- Stir in the cooked lentils and the tinned tomatoes, wine and sugar. Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes occasionally stirring.
- Allow the sauce to thicken, season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to package instructions.
- Plate the pasta topped with the bolognese sauce. Serve with grated cheese and basil leaves.