Originating in Hawaii, with plenty of Japanese influence, the poké bowl is now proving popular all around the world. The good news is – it’s super easy to make at home. Even better, it’s packed full of fresh veggies and high in flavour, but low in calories.
The poké bowl is essentially sushi rice, a protein of your choice, thinly sliced veggies, sauce and toppings. You can experiment and find the flavours that work for you!
- Grilled chicken breast, thinly sliced and then sprinkled with some soya sauce and left to cool
- Frozen cleaned and shelled prawns, defrosted, lightly pan fried in a touch of olive oil, ginger and garlic, and then given a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a sprinkling of chopped coriander
- Thinly sliced medium-cooked beef fillet, tossed with chopped ginger and coriander
- Thinly sliced fresh tuna or salmon
Here you can go crazy! Julienned carrots, peppers and cucumber work well, as well as thinly sliced red onion, thinly sliced radishes, half an avo, thinly sliced, super finely sliced red cabbage, spinach and/or kale and any other veggies you enjoy.
This is fairly simple. The main sauce is soya sauce, which can either be plain soya sauce, or soya sauce with a dash of sesame oil, miso, sriracha sauce or lime juice mixed in. Then a small amount of wasabi mayo to add a bit of creaminess.
Choose two or three of these to add to your poke bowl:
- Toasted almond flakes
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Finely chopped pickled ginger
- Pickled jalapenos
- Chopped nori (seaweed sheets)
- Black and white sesame seeds
Once you have all the right ingredients, it’s fairly easy to put together a stunning, flavourful bowl. Simply put a small mound of sushi rice in the middle of the bowl, then arrange your veggies (separately) all around the rice to create a colourful display. Place your protein on top of the rice. Drizzle about 4 tablespoons of your soya sauce over everything, then add about a tablespoon of wasabi mayo in a thin line across the top, add your toppings and you’re good to go! Eating with chopsticks will help you to eat more slowly and mindfully.