- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 large potato, cut into 2cm chunks
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 80g spinach
- Small bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1½ lemon, juiced and ½ wedged to serve
- 4 slices of bread / ciabatta to serve (1 slice / 40g per person)
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the onion, celery and a pinch of salt. Place on a lid and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the garlic and red chillies and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add the tomato purée and spices and cook for a further 2 minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes, potato, chickpeas and 1.25 litres of boiling water.
3. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
4.Pour in the spinach, flat-leaf parsley and a little seasoning, and stir for 1 minute until wilted. Add in the lemon juice, then serve into bowls with lemon wedges for squeezing.