- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread
- 35g mushrooms, sliced
- 20g baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 30g low fat cheddar, grated
- Salt and pepper to season
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
2. Place the sliced onions in a small saucepan with the vinegar and water and simmer on a low heat for roughly 10 minutes until they are nice and soft (you can add more water if needed to get the onions soft).
3. Lightly toast your slices of bread in the toaster.
4. When the onions are soft and dark brown, add the mushroom and continue to fry for 3 minutes until the mushrooms have softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place half of the onion and mushroom mix in each sandwich. Add the spinach and sprinkled the grated cheese on top. Place the second piece of bread on top and slightly squish it down.
6. Place the sandwiches on a lined baking tray and spray the tops with a little cooking spray or a small smear of butter/margarine.
7. Put the baking tray in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is nice and oozey.
8. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve, either alone or paired with a small garden salad!