- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small handful chopped fresh rosemary (or you can use 1tsp of dried rosemary)
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 cans of cannellini beans (in soaking liquid)
- 2 cans of good quality tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 big handful fresh basil, torn
1. Preheat oven to 160°C
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add in the chopped onion, leave to cook for 5 minutes with minimal stirring.
3. Add the garlic, rosemary and diced fresh tomatoes, season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for a few more minutes.
4. Add in the tinned beans with their soaking liquid, the tinned tomatoes and the tablespoon of sugar. Lower the heat and cook for another 15 minutes.
5. Place the mixture into a baking dish and stir in the basil. Bake for about 40-60 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and the top looks browned, stir the mixture halfway through baking.
6. These beans are super versatile! Serve on sourdough toast for breakfast, as a tasty side dish, or simply enjoy them on their own with a sprinkling of fresh basil!